Questions about Atmel-ICE with VisualGDB and ESP8266

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Questions about Atmel-ICE with VisualGDB and ESP8266

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Singe
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m interested to start to use VisualGDB.  I want to ask if I can re-use my ATMEL-ICE programmer as programmer and debugger with VisualGDB to debug ESP8266.

Also, I’ve found in ESP8266 Startup tutorial this:

As the ESP8266 system functions do not come with source code, you cannot step into them directly. However, you can switch to the disassembly mode to view the specific assembly instructions:

This is becouse VisualGDB provide some limitations? Or becouse ESP8266 SDK don’t provide informations? (Sorry my newbie question)

Another question I’ve is about VisualGDB. Since as I understand it’s not free, which one of it’s packets support ESP8266? Is enough “Embedded” packet?

Thank you!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please find the answers to your questions below.

We did not explicitly test ESP8266 with Atmel-ICE. You can try it at your own risk by specifying the corresponding interface script to OpenOCD, but we cannot guarantee that it will work.

The source code of the ESP8266 library is not provided by Espressif, so it’s not a limitation of VisualGDB.

Yes, the embedded edition is enough for ESP8266.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.